Thursday, March 20, 2014

Countertops

Early last week I was on a mission to pick out a countertop for our kitchen. We decided late in the game to do work in the kitchen so in order to get things ready for our install date I needed to make some decisions. We are working with Great Lakes Granite Works to find something. The two women that work there are super helpful. I originally fell in love with this piece of granite called "Fantasy Brown," I have to show you a picture of it because it's gorgeous!

Well as luck would have it, that was completely out of my budget! Marcy at Great Lakes showed me a piece of granite that was really cool and the finish was "suede" instead of the typical shiny finish that granite has. It almost looked like a matte finish. It reminded me of my dream concrete countertops (Someday!) and so I considered that. The piece that they had available in our time frame just wasn't what I was looking for, a little too busy for my style. 


White Persia in suede finish

After looking through Great Lakes options, they suggested I go to the suppliers and take a look. There are 3 in Grand Rapids: Mont, American and Pascucci. It turned out to be a really fun experience! I went to each place and looked at their selections. I could see the entire stone and hand pick the one I wanted. If you get new countertops I totally recommend this! It's so much better than a picture on a computer or a small 1'x1' sample. 


I walked up and down many aisles in a warehouse full of lots of different stones. In GR, Pascucci definitely has the best selection. It was cool to learn about the stones. For instance, "Fantasy Brown" at one location may look very different from "Fantasy Brown" at another because it came from a different lot and/or quarry.  If you are looking to do a small area I would recommend going here and trying to buy a remnant. You can get them for really good prices and then just pay for the fabrication. I needed an entire slab, so unfortunately that wasn't going to work for me.

I ended up going with a "River White" stone from Pascucci. Our appliances are going to be stainless and our cabinets are a dark wood so I wanted to make it light to brighten up the room some and also incorporate both colors. Tomorrow I am meeting with Abby to pick out a paint color for the kitchen!




I've spent two full days at the house this week painting. Things are looking awesome! We got our bathroom vanity, countertops and plumbing today so it is almost a fully functioning bathroom! Tomorrow the electrician comes and we'll have light! Our contractor is slowly moving out of each room in the upstairs and we are hoping to start getting things cleaned up next week. So.much.dust.ugh. 





No comments:

Post a Comment