Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Wallpaper!!

If you would have told me even a few years ago that I would have wallpaper in my house I would have called you crazy. Maybe it was the image I had of all the terrible old flowery wallpaper I had seen from looking at old houses in my neighborhood or quite possibly the mental damage of removing wallpaper and putting up borders with my Mom back in the day. The reality of it is though that I was really wanting some wallpaper in this old house. I thought the entry area would be a perfect spot. It's the first thing you see when you walk in the front door and it's a small enough area so I could make it something bright and bold! 
The lighting in both of these areas was also terrible so that had to be changed as well. There is a very small vestibule when you walk in that has a coat closet. It has the white hexagon flooring that we carried through in the new bathroom upstairs and in the powder room off the kitchen. This is a terrible picture, but when we moved in the vestibule had this lovely paper on the wall…
With the lime green door and the beige trim (only in this room) it was all sorts of wrong.

I took all of the paper off and picked out a grasscloth. I went back and forth with this decision and am so glad I decided to go with it! I love the texture of grasscloths and the earthy calm vibe you get before the bright contrast that follows it in the small foyer. We (errrr, I) also painted all of the trim and back of the door 
white. 

You can't see in this picture but we added this light from Lamps Plus with the Edison bulb to the room. I really heart this light :)

Turns out it's not super easy to find someone to hang wallpaper for you. I found a guy through a local paint and wallpaper store and he told me it would be 4-6 weeks before he could get to me (insert large sigh!) How could I wait this long? haha
I did, and it turns out it was well worth it. Tom, my wallpaper man, was so wonderful! He's probably in his late 60's and is such a chatter. He did an excellent job and was really affordable compared to others I got quotes from. He told me "I'm running around like a crazy man hanging wallpaper for a bunch of kids your age." Kid, I love it! 

The foyer looked nice when we moved in, but I just really envisioned that room with some super fun wallpaper. Here is a before picture of the room. As you can see on the floor is my mess trying to remove the old wallpaper from the vestibule…no bueno.

I had my heart set on this wallpaper and went to order it only to find out it had been discontinued. Yep, those are birds and I was going to put them on my wall. Surprisingly, Stefano liked them too. 

Julia Rothman 'Daydream' (Almost White & Green) for Hygge & West


It must have been a sign though because I then decided on this GORG green and white fretwork pattern found at Spoonflower and couldn't imagine anything else. Spoonflower is a great site. The patterns are really versatile and they offer them in fabric and wallpaper. They send you samples and can make a pattern smaller or larger based on your needs. I will say that my wallpaper guy, Tom did not care too much for this wallpaper. It had an overlay built into it which made it really hard for him to work with and took quite a bit longer because he had to trim it all off. None the less, it was a stunner!

My mom and I are planning to recover the bench in a textured gray fabric and I hope to put a large mirror on the main wall. This room still needs some TLC but I JUST LOVE IT! Totally worth the wait for good ol Tom the wallpaper guy :)

The light is from Ikea and so much better than the boob light that was up there.

If you have always thought about doing wallpaper but didn't have the courage, seriously just do it! I'm so glad I did and I don't even care that I may have to take it down before we move someday (I hope I remember saying this!) Even though these two little areas are small, they're what you see when you first walk in the door and I think they're equally as important as bigger rooms such as the living room. 
Thanks again to Abby M. Interiors for all of her help and patience with this! She rocks! If you haven't started following her blog, just do that too! She just completed the One Room Challenge and her bathroom is a show stopper!

I was fortunate enough to have a long visit from my Mom this past weekend. One day while my hubby was recovering from having his wisdom teeth pulled and my son was napping, we snuck some shopping in! It was one of those impromptu, no expectations, super fun trips! We were seriously Homegoods happy and finding so many little gems in there. I found this and felt like it was meant to be, so I bought it :)


Thanks for reading. Hope you all have a great week and have a little more sunshine than we do here in Grand Rapids. 







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! Just wait until we finish the entry...it's hard to believe it can actually get even better after installing the wallpaper. Love how everything is coming together!

    ReplyDelete